Dapper Market (Dappermarkt)
Guided walking tours focused on off-the-beaten-path Amsterdam often include a visit to Dapper Market and offer the opportunity to learn more about the colorful area than would be possible without a local guide’s insight. Also a stop on hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus tours, the market is a great place to visit for a meal of international cuisine, with cafés and other shops lining Dapperstraat, the street the market is located on. Here you'll find a Turkish bakery, an Islamic butcher, a Surinamese food store, African cosmetics, and stores selling clothing and shoes.
Things to Know Before You Go
Dapper Market is must-visit for foodies and those with an interest in multicultural Amsterdam.
As with any busy market, it’s best to keep an eye on your belongings and watch out for pickpockets.
The Waterlooplein Market is just a 15-minute walk away, making it easy to combine visits to two of Amsterdam’s best markets.
How to Get There
The closest train station to Dapper Market is Muiderpoort, a 5-minute walk away. Tram lines 3, 7, 9, 10, and 14 all stop within a few minutes’ walk of the market, and it’s just a 5-minute walk from the Tropenmuseum.
When to Get There
The market is open Monday through Saturday, 9am to 5pm, and Saturdays are busiest. Check the market’s website for information on community events including live music and festive events such as Ladies Day (March 8) and the Christmas Gala.
Who Was Olfert Dapper?
Dapperstraat, the street from which the market takes its name, is named after Olfert Dapper, a 17th-century doctor and writer. Dapper’s bookDescription of Africa was considered an authoritative text on Africa in its time, despite the fact that he never traveled outside the Netherlands.
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Flanders
- De Gooyer Windmill
- Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo (Natura Artis Magistra)
- Dutch Resistance Museum (Amsterdams Verzetsmuseum)
- National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg)
- National Holocaust Museum
- National Maritime Museum (Het Scheepvaartmuseum)
- Skinny Bridge (Magere Brug)
- Amsterdam Cruise Port
- Portuguese Synagogue
- Jewish Historical Museum (Joods Historisch Museum)
- NEMO Science Museum
- Hermitage Amsterdam
- Xtracold Icebar