Lolei Temple (Prasat Lolei)
Lolei has an interesting location. Once an island temple in an artificial reservoir, today it’s right by a working monastery and surrounded by rice fields. Although it’s not technically within the archaeological park, you’ll need an Angkor ticket (1-day, 3-day, or 7-day) to gain access to this and other temples within the Roluos Group.
As the group is less busy than the main Angkor sites, a cycle tour can be a great way to explore. Alternatively, travel by tuk-tuk or minivan, join a multi-day tour that takes in a range of Angkorian sites, or add a visit to the stilt village of Kompong Phluk.
Things to Know Before You Go
Lolei is of interest to history buffs.
Donations to the monastery are not compulsory but very welcome. A small note should suffice.
Consider visiting the Roluos Group before the other Angkor sites. They are the earliest temples, after all.
Uneven ground makes Lolei a challenge for travelers who use wheelchairs. The temples themselves have steps.
How to Get There
Lolei stands among the Roluos Group of temples, around 9 miles (15 kilometers) east of downtown Siem Reap, just outside the little town of Roluos. There’s no public transport, so travelers often visit on a tour, although it makes for a very scenic country bike ride if you have your own wheels.
When to Get There
The Roluos Group in general is less visited than the main Angkor Wat sites, and Lolei is one of the less popular sites within this group. It’s open from early morning until late afternoon, but if you’d like to donate to the school next door, visit earlier in the day.
What Is the Roluos Group?
The 9th-century Khmer king Indravarman I had his capital city at Hariharalaya. Situated in what was once Hariharalaya, the Roluos Group are some of the earliest surviving Khmer temples. They comprise Lolei, the ruins of Prei Monti, the Bakong pyramid temple, and the towers of Preah Ko.
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Krong Kaeb
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Things to do in Can Tho
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in My Son
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Preah Ko Temple (Prasat Preah Ko)
- Roluos Group (Roluos Temples)
- Citadel of Samré (Banteay Samré)
- Pre Rup
- Kravan Temple (Prasat Kravan)
- Srah Srang
- Banteay Kdei
- Phnom Bok Temple (Prasat Phnom Bok)
- Ta Prohm
- Angkor Wat
- Ta Som Temple (Prasat Ta Som)
- Ta Keo Temple (Prasat Ta Keo)
- Baksei Chamkrong Temple (Prasat Baksei Chamkrong)
- Phnom Bakheng