Day trips to the Hohenschwangau Castle often head out from Munich and include round-trip transportation and visits to other popular area attractions such as the Neuschwanstein Castle, Lake Alpsee, or the village of Schwangau.
Hohenschwangau Castle can only be visited on a guided tour at specific admission times. Book tours ahead of time to save time in line and be guaranteed your preferred time slot. Several hiking trails head out from Hohenschwangau and are worth exploring for excellent views of the castles.
Recent reviews from experiences in Bavaria
Things to Know Before You Go
- Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein Castles are among the top tourist attractions in Bavaria.
- Save money by booking a combo tour of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles.
- Wear comfortable shoes; it is about a 20-minute walk from the ticket office to the castle.
- Hohenschwangau Castle is not wheelchair accessible; stairs must be ascended during castle tours.
How to Get There
Hohenschwangau Castle is located in southern Germany in the village of the same name. The castle is about 68 miles (110 kilometers) southeast of Munich near the Austrian border. The best way to reach the castle from Munich is via train to the nearby town of Fussen where you can then board a bus to Hohenschwangau. Opting for a private or small-group tour by bus or private transport will save you travel time.
When to Get There
Hohenschwangau Castle is open daily from 7:30am to 5:00pm during the summer months and from 8:30am to 3:00pm from mid-October through March. It’s best to reserve tickets in advance since tours can sell out during the summer months and holiday season. The castle can only be visited during the reserved admission time.
Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle This late 19th-century Romanesque Revival style castle was the inspiration for Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty castle and is one of Europe’s top tourist destinations. Like the Hohenschwangau Castle, the Neuschwanstein can only be visited as part of a guided tour. Visiting the castle is extremely popular so advanced reservation during the busy summer season is an absolute must.
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Central Switzerland
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Things to do in Veneto
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Linderhof Castle
- Andechs Monastery
- Bavarian Alps
- Bavaria Filmstadt (Bavarian Film Studio)
- Hellabrunn Zoo (Tierpark Hellabrunn)
- Nymphenburg Palace (Schloss Nymphenburg)
- Paulaner Brewery (Paulaner Brauerei München)
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- Deutsches Museum
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)