La Colline aux Oiseaux Park (Parc de La Colline aux Oiseaux)
The Caen Memorial is a popular stop for anyone who's looking to put their WWII Normandy visit into its full historical perspective. But as we can all agree, while D-Day was a defining moment that ultimately led to an Allied victory, it is full of heartache, sacrifice, and can be overwhelming to relive.
This is why La Colline aux Oiseaux Park (Parc de La Colline aux Oiseaux), just steps away from the Caen Memorial, is such a delight. First, it is outdoors – perfect for those with kids who may need some outdoor fun time after being cooped up in a museum. And for adults, it can clear the mind a bit as we take in what we've just learned. In the spring and summer it is a riot of color and scents; all year round there is a hedge maze, a petting zoo, mini golf, a café and plenty of pathways to stroll on.
La Colline aux Oiseaux is free to enter. It's perfect for visitors who are based in Caen and want to shake off the somber realities of a WWII-themed visit to Normandy.
- Caen Memorial Museum (Mémorial de Caen)
- Caen Castle (Château de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Hommes
- Normandy Museum (Musée de Normandie)
- Caen Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen)
- Abbaye aux Dames
- Pegasus Memorial Museum (Pegasus Bridge)
- Ranville War Cemetery
- Merville Battery (Batterie de Merville)
- Mulberry Harbour
- Jurques Zoo (Zoo de Jurques)
- Trouville (Trouville-sur-Mer)