Chiang Rai is ideally situated for discovering Thailand’s Golden Triangle, so three days in the city give you ample time to immerse yourself in local culture and cuisine, and explore the northern highlands. Here’s how.
Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong
Doi Tung Mountain, Chiang Rai, Thailand
Said to predate Buddhism, Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong is a shrine that attracts worshippers from across the border in Myanmar and Laos, as well as Thais. Due to this significance, the temple features on several tours. It’s most often combined with a visit to Doi Tung Royal Villa, the former residence of Thai royalty, and Mae Si Market, where the cultures of the Golden Triangle intersect.
Things to know before you go
- Thanks to its remote location atop a hill, Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong is a peaceful place to escape the crowds of the city below.
- The temple is an active place of worship so wear clothing that covers your knees and shoulders.
- Uneven terrain and stairs mean that Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong is not accessible for strollers or wheelchairs.
How to get there
From the center of Chiang Mai the temple is a 30-minute walk uphill. Alternatively, hire a taxi to take you to the top of the hill, which takes around 10 minutes from Chiang Rai bus terminal.
When to get there
The temple is generally open from sunrise to sunset, but try to arrive as early as possible to beat both the crowds and the sweltering daytime heat.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Wat Phra That Doi Chom Thong?
What else should I know about attractions in Chiang Rai?
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Chiang Mai
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Yangon
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Hanoi
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Shangri-La
- Things to do in Southwest China
- Things to do in Central Vietnam