Water Puppet Shows in Ho Chi Minh City
The Vietnamese art of water puppetry originated in the Red River Delta of North Vietnam around the 11th century when villagers put on shows after the rice paddies flooded. Today, the tradition is on UNESCO’s Intangible Cultural Heritage list. Here’s how to see water puppet shows in Ho Chi Minh City.
Watch as colorfully painted puppets seem to dance on water, accompanied by a live orchestra.
Learn more about the ancient art of water puppetry from a knowledgeable guide.
Combine a unique Vietnamese water puppet show with a cyclo tour (3-wheeled bicycle taxi) of Ho Chi Minh City or a scenic cruise along the Saigon River.
Choose an all-inclusive tour including dinner, show tickets, and hotel pickup and drop-off from Ho Chi Minh City hotels.
Tuck into a delicious dinner of typical Vietnamese cuisine at a local restaurant, and then head to a theater, such as the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater in Tao Dan Park, for an unforgettable hour-long show. Watch as the skilled puppeteers maneuver the wooden puppets from behind a bamboo screen, acting out tales of rural Vietnamese life and folklore on the water stage.
For an even more memorable experience, combine a water puppet show with a romantic dinner cruise along the Saigon River. Admire views of Ho Chi Minh City’s illuminated skyline as you cruise along the water and enjoy live, on-board entertainment from Vietnamese folk singers.
- Cruising the Mekong Delta
- Ho Chi Minh City Water Puppets
- 3-Days in Ho Chi Minh City: Suggested Itineraries
- Vietnam War Tours
- How to Spend 3 Days in Ho Chi Minh City
- Food Lover's Guide to Ho Chi Minh City
- Vietnam War History Tours in Ho Chi Minh City
- Mekong River Cruises from Ho Chi Minh City
- How to Spend 2 Days in Ho Chi Minh City
- How to Spend 1 Day in Ho Chi Minh City
- Water Puppet Shows in Ho Chi Minh City