Come to join the party crowd, watch ocean sunsets, and take in historical sites, then head offshore to see the Gulf of Mexico’s castaway islands and mangroves. Read on for our top tips for making the most of 3 days in Key West.
Southernmost Point of the Continental USA
South end of Duval Street
Though the Southernmost Point is at the south end of Key West, it’s not really within walking distance to many other island attractions, so it’s a great idea to include it as part of a tour such as a Key West hop-on hop-off bus. If you’re day-tripping from Miami, book a full-day tour to ensure that you get to the 13-foot-high (4-meter) buoy and other must-see stops, including the Ernest Hemingway House.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Southernmost Point is a quick don’t-miss for all first-time visitors to Key West.
Don’t forget your camera or cell phone.
Be prepared to wait in line. During peak tourist season, you might face up to a 20-minute wait to capture a photo.
How to Get There
The Southernmost Point is located on the southern coast of Key West at the intersection of South and Whitehead Streets, about a 10-minute drive from the airport. It’s about 1 mile southeast of Sloppy Joe’s Bar on Duval Street—perfect for a bike ride or a hired pedicab.
When to Get There
Key West is busiest and most crowded during the winter months. March through May is a great time to travel here for good weather and fewer people.
Sort of Southernmost
Although it’s a fun photo stop, many sharp-eyed observers over the years have correctly claimed that the Southernmost Point marker is actually not located at the nation’s southernmost destination. In the continental United States, it’s close, but no Cuban cigar—the nearby Truman Annex takes that honor. When it comes to the entire US, Hawaii’s Ka Lae (or South Point) is farther south.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Southernmost Point of the Continental USA?
What else should I know about attractions in Key West?
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Key West Butterfly and Nature Conservatory
- Key West Lighthouse and Keeper's Quarters Museum
- Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum
- Basilica of Saint Mary Star of the Sea
- Duval Street
- Fort Zachary Taylor
- Key West Cemetery
- Edward B. Knight Pier
- St. Paul's Key West Episcopal Church
- Hard Rock Cafe Key West
- Harry S. Truman Little White House
- Mel Fisher Maritime Museum
- Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum
- Key West Aquarium
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Key West Museum