Wat Khunaram (Mummified Monk)
Koh Samui is known for its incredible beaches, turquoise waters and sandy shores. But hidden away from the coastal wonder lies one of the most unique temples in the nation—Wat Khunaram.
While this gilded red and white temple may look typical to travelers who climb the dozen or so stairs that lead to its entryway, once inside, visitors will find a site unlike anywhere else. That’s because a vertical glass casket holds the mummified body of Loung Pordaeng—a famous monk—in his most meditative state. Locals say his meditation techniques, which required less oxygen than his peers—are responsible for his still well-preserved state. Visitors can come tour the site, learn about the life of this religious icon, and bear witness to local Buddhists praying at wat shrines.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Wat Khunaram (Mummified Monk)?
- Top Sights of Samui City Tour
- Koh Samui Custom Sightseeing Tour with Private Guide
- Eco Jungle Safari Tour around Koh Samui Including Lunch
- Private - 6 Hours Best of Samui City Tour including Lunch
Things to do near Koh Samui
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Khao Lak
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Kedah