Perdana Botanical Garden (Lake Gardens)
Fringed by attractions including the Kuala Lumpur National Monument, the Kuala Lumpur Bird Park, the Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Garden, the National Museum, and the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia, the Perdana Botanical Garden is a charming place for a stroll. Travelers can enjoy the orchid garden as well as fruit trees and spice plants. The gardens are large and some way from the nearest public transport, so many will want to book a tour that includes transfers.
Things to know before you go
- There’s no charge to enter the Perdana Botanical Garden.
- There are cafés, restaurants, and bathroom facilities in the gardens.
- The gardens are stroller-friendly. Combined with the bird park and the butterfly garden, they’re a great family choice.
- Although set on a hill, the Perdana Botanical Garden is generally wheelchair friendly, with accessible parking and adapted bathrooms.
How to get there
The Perdana Botanical Garden forms part of the Tun Abdul Razak Heritage Park in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. While central, it is tricky to reach, with many entrances closed off. Join a tour or book a private driver to take you to the National Monument.
When to get there
The gardens are open from morning until evening seven days a week. The heat can get quite intense in the middle of the day, so visit early or late.
Kuala Lumpur with Kids
Kuala Lumpur is a great city with kids. Around the Perdana Botanical Garden alone, there’s a planetarium, a butterfly park, and a bird park. For more wildlife, try aquariaKLCC, with its 295-foot (90-meter) underwater tunnel, or Malaysia National Zoo. Petrosains the Discovery Centre, at the Petronas Twin Towers, is a fantastic interactive science center; the Berjaya Times Square Theme Park is a fun way to beat the heat; while batik classes can exercise kids’ creativity.
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Port Klang (Kuala Lumpur Cruise Port)
- Kuala Lumpur Butterfly Park
- Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia
- Templer Park
- National Museum
- Kuala Lumpur National Monument (Tugu Negara)
- National Mosque of Malaysia (Masjid Negara)
- Jamek Mosque (Masjid Jamek)
- Kuala Lumpur Railway Station
- Kuala Lumpur Little India (Jalan Masjid India)
- Kuala Lumpur City Gallery
- Merdeka Square (Dataran Merdeka)
- Central Market (Pasar Seni)
- Sultan Abdul Samad Building (Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad)
- Illusion 3D Art Museum