Sarawak Cultural Village (SCV)
A rural location means that Sarawak Cultural Village is best-visited as part of a day trip, for which options are plentiful. You can either purchase your admission ticket in advance to avoid waiting in line on the day, or combine a visit to Sarawak Cultural Village with either a stop at Matang Wildlife Center—home to wildlife species including orangutans, sun bears, and civets—or a city tour of Kuching.
Things to know before you go
- A must-visit attraction for families and travelers in Borneo for the first time.
- You can take part in an interactive music workshop that lets you play instruments that derive from the rainforest; advance booking is recommended.
- Most visitors find that half a day is ample time to explore Sarawak Cultural Village.
How to get there
Sarawak Cultural Village is open daily. Malaysian Borneo is famous for its festivals, which celebrate everything from Chinese New Year to Malaysian Independence day. Try to arrange your visit to the park so that it coincides with one of the festivals to see the ethnic houses at their best.
When to get there
From Kuching International Airport, Sarawak Cultural Village is a 40-minute drive. From the center of the city, it takes around 30 minutes by car. A free shuttle bus runs from the Grand Margherita Hotel in Kuching four times daily—check the website for the exact schedule.
The Culture of Kuching
If you still haven’t had your culture fix after a visit to Sarawak Cultural Village, then be sure to spend a day or two exploring nearby Kuching. The city, named after the Malay word for “cat,” is rich with feline symbols. As well as boasting a museum dedicated entirely to cats, there are several cat statues scattered throughout Kuching.
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam