Semenggoh Nature Reserve
In addition to observation decks and hiking routes, Semenggoh Nature Reserve is home to an Orangutan Gallery, which showcases the close DNA links between humans and the primates, and a Botanical Research Centre with a fruit orchard and bamboo garden. Semenggoh Nature Reserve is a popular day trip destination from Kuching; excursions typically include hassle-free round-trip transfers and increase your chances of spotting wildlife by coinciding visits with feeding time. Some also include time to kayak through the mangroves.
Things to know before you go
- As well as orangutans, the forests are home to rescued gibbons, crocodiles, and porcupines, which you may spot during your exploration.
- Should a semi-wild orangutan approach you, remember that touching, feeding, or making any other direct contact is not permitted.
- The center has restrooms and snack kiosks.
- Although visiting at feeding times increases your chance of spotting orangutans, it is not guaranteed.
How to get there
The reserve is located 14.9 miles (24 kilometers) south of Kuching, and takes about 40 minutes to reach by car. While the #6 bus line from Kuching can take you close, most tours of the reserve include round-trip transportation from your hotel in Kuching.
When to get there
The center is open year-round, Monday to Friday, from morning until late afternoon. Feeding times occur twice daily, in the mid-morning and mid-afternoon. Check the center website to ensure you arrive at the correct time.
Exploring Matang National Park
So many orangutans were successfully reintroduced into the forest surrounding Semenggoh that the habitat reached capacity and all rehabilitation activities were moved to the Matang Wildlife Centre, inside Kubah National Park. Here, you can observe sun bears and orangutans undergoing rehabilitation, and follow hiking trails that lead to waterfalls and rock pools.
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam