Grasmere is a staple of Lake District sightseeing tours, which allow you to skip the hassle of car hire by transporting you around the Lake District National Park in climate-controlled comfort. Tours, which range from half- to full-day, typically cover 8-10 lakes and feature stops at Windermere, England’s longest lake; the 4,000-year-old Castlerigg stone circle; and the villages of Ambleside and Keswick. After wandering around the lakes, browse chocolate and gingerbread shops in Grasmere village.
Things to know before you go
- Grasmere is a must-visit for literary fans and nature lovers.
- The village, which is located on the southern shore of the lake, has plenty of gift shops, cafés, restaurants, and accommodation options.
- Motorboats are prohibited on the lake, in which only rowing, kayaking, and swimming are permitted.
- Walking routes surrounding the lake are free of stiles, which makes them accessible for strollers and wheelchairs.
How to get there
The closest major railway station to Grasmere is Windermere, served by trains from London and Manchester. From Windermere station, you can take buses #555 and 599 to Grasmere village, which takes around 40 minutes.
When to get there
To maximize your chance of blue skies and dry weather, visit the lake between June and September, though be prepared for crowds. Between April and October, you can book on to a guided walk around Grasmere and Rydal lakes. Advance bookings can be made via the Lake District National Park website.
Thanks to the legendary English poet William Wordsworth, Grasmere is famous for more than just its scenery. In among the 20th-century stone houses, you’ll find Dove Cottage, Allan Bank, and Rydal Mount, all of which were inhabited by Wordsworth at some point. You can also pay your respects at Wordsworth’s gravestone, located in the churchyard of St. Oswald’s Church.
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England