Comprised of 99 islands (five more at low tide) on Malaysia’s western coast, Langkawi is the postcard image of a tropical paradise. With Langkawi Island as a base, travelers come from around the globe to explore the archipelago. These are some of your best island-hopping options.
Eagle Square (Dataran Lang)
Kuah Jetty, Kedah, Langkawi, Malaysia, 07000
As one of Langkawi’s most-recognizable sights, Eagle Square (Dataran Lang) is on the itinerary of most island tours, which typically also cover a village that specializes in making batik (cloth that’s decorated with hot wax and dye) and Cenang Street, which is bordered by a white-sand beach. Some tours include admission tickets for Langkawi Crocodile Park and the Langkawi Cable Car (Langkawi Skycab), which transports you to the summit of Mt. Machinchang and guarantees the island’s most spectacular views.
Things to know before you go
- Thanks to its mountainous backdrop and panoramic ocean views, Eagle Square (Dataran Lang) is a must-see sight for first-time visitors and photographers.
- Eagle Square (Dataran Lang) is fully wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
- The shops behind the square sell budget-friendly chocolates and alcohol.
How to get there
Eagle Square (Dataran Lang) is located on the Kuah Jetty. From Langkawi International Airport, the square is a 30-minute drive via Jalan Padang Matsirat. No public transport services the square so its easiest to take a taxi or visit as part of an island tour.
When to get there
The square is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At night, the eagle and the buildings surrounding the square are illuminated, which makes it a romantic place to sit and watch the ferries sail in from the mainland.
Langkawi Skycab and Skywalk
One of Langkawi’s top attractions is undoubtedly is the Langkawi Cable Car (Langkawi Skycab), a 3,117-foot (950-meter) free-span cable car that’s among the steepest on the planet. The cable car is part of Panorama Langkawi, which encompasses both the suspended SkyBridge and the SkyGlide funicular.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Eagle Square (Dataran Lang)?
What else should I know about attractions in Langkawi?
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Pulau Payar Marine Park
- Lagenda Park (Taman Lagenda)
- Tanjung Rhu
- Mahsuri's Tomb (Makam Mahsuri)
- Dayang Bunting Island (Pulau Dayang Bunting)
- Galeria Perdana
- Dayang Bunting Lake (Tasik Dayang Bunting)
- Atma Alam Batik Art Village
- Underwater World Langkawi
- Rice Museum (Laman Padi Langkawi)
- Langkawi Craft Complex (Kompleks Kraf Langkawi)
- Mt. Machinchang (Gunung Mat Chinchang)
- Singa Besar Island (Pulau Singa Besar)
- Langkawi Beras Basah Island (Pulau Beras Basah)
- Crocodile Adventureland Langkawi (Langkawi Crocodile Farm)