Melaka Portuguese Square
As one of many notable landmarks in the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Portuguese Square is typically a stop on sightseeing tours and day trip from Kuala Lumpur, which also usually include Cheng Hoon Teng Temple, St. Paul’s Church, Stadthuys, Christ Church, and the Kampung Kling Mosque.
Things to Know Before You Go
The square is a must-see for foodies and those with an interest in Malaysia’s colonial history.
Wear comfortable walking shoes for exploring the surrounding neighborhood.
Come hungry; the neighborhood is known for its excellent seafood and Portuguese cuisine.
How to Get There
Portuguese Square is situated east of the city center. The best way to get there and back is by taxi or with an organized tour.
When to Get There
The square is open all the time, but it’s at its liveliest in the evenings and on weekends when locals and visitors alike come to dine out and take in traditional performances in the square. A bulletin board in the square lists upcoming cultural events.
Festivals in Portuguese Square
Each year, the Portuguese community in Melaka celebrates the Feast of Saint Peter (San Pedro) on June 29 with live music, food, and dancing in the square. Another good time to visit is during Christmas season, when local residents decorate their homes and streets with nativity scenes and colorful lights.
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Johor Bahru
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Tanah Rata
- Things to do in Ipoh
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Kuala Besut
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Johor
- Things to do in Pahang
- Things to do in Perak
- Illusion 3D Art Museum Melaka
- Taming Sari Tower (Menara Taming Sari)
- Upside Down House Melaka
- Malacca River (Sungai Melaka)
- Baba & Nyonya Heritage Museum
- Jonker Street (Jalan Hang Jebat)
- Cheng Hoon Teng Temple
- The Shore Sky Tower
- The Shore Oceanarium
- Magic Art Museum
- Malacca Crocodile Park (Taman Buaya & Rekreasi Melaka)
- Zoo Melaka (Malacca Zoo and Night Safari)
- Melaka Botanical Garden
- Melaka Bird Park