Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
Visible from all over Munich, the Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady is a must-see attraction—whether you want to tour the interior or attend a service. Climb 86 steps and then take an elevator to the top of the south tower for unparalleled views of Munich.
Most Munich city tours include a stop at the cathedral and nearby Marienplatz—the city’s main square. Many WWII history tours also visit the church, which was damaged during the war. Full-day tours from Frankfurt typically include a visit to the cathedral along with other Munich highlights, and some day trips also include a visit to the nearby city of Nuremberg.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady is a must-see for history buffs and first-time visitors to Munich.
Admission to the church is free.
The main church is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, but the tower is not.
How to Get There
The Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady is located just off busy Marienplatz, in Munich’s city center. While guided tours provide easy transportation, it’s also possible to take tram 19 to Marienplatz (Theatinerstrasse), or take the S- or U-bahn to Karlsplatz and walk 10 minutes from there.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily from 7:30am to 8:30pm. Services include morning and evening mass and midday prayers, and though you may not explore the church during services, all are welcome to attend. The church frequently hosts concerts and organ recitals, which may require paid admission.
The Devil’s Mark
Legend has it that the Devil made a deal with Frauenkirche architect Jörg Halspach—that he would pay for the church if the builder didn’t put windows in it. When Lucifer came to inspect the building, he stamped his foot in fury at being hoodwinked, leaving a large footprint on the floor. Look forder Teufelstritt at the entrance to the Frauenkirche.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- New Pinakothek (Neue Pinakothek)