English Garden (Englischer Garten)
A sightseeing tour of Munich isn’t complete without a trip to the idyllic English Garden. Explore the gardens on a guided walking, bike or Segway tour, or as part of a hop-on hop-off Munich tour. Highlights within the park include paddleboat rental at Kleinhesseloher Lake and great views from the Greek temple of Monopteros.
Things to Know Before You Go
Wear comfortable shoes if you plan on walking, biking, or taking part in outdoor activities.
Most of the park’s walking trails are wheelchair accessible.
The English Garden is a great spot for families to enjoy the fresh air in bustling Munich.
How to Get There
The English Garden is located just north of Munich's Old Town; it takes around 20 minutes to walk to the southern entrance from Marienplatz. To get there by public transport, ride the tram to Paradiesstrasse or Tivolistrasse, or take the U-bahn to Universitat, Giselastrasse, or Munchner Freiheit.
When to Get There
The park is open year-round, and while it can get busy on summer afternoons, it’s big enough that you’ll always be able to find a quiet spot. Head there during summer to watch the famous urban surfers along the River Eisbach and enjoy various open-air events and activities, or plan your trip during the cooler months of spring and autumn, which are ideal for walkers and runners.
Eating and Drinking in the English Garden
Once you’ve finished exploring, stop to admire the views from the Japanese Tea House or have a beer and enjoy the traditional brass bands at the Chinesischer Turm (Chinese tower) Biergarten, one of Munich’s largest. Alternatively, tuck into bratwurst and beer at Osterwald or Hirschau beer gardens, or head to the Seehaus (Lake House), where you can drink beer overlooking the lake.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Eisbach Wave (Eisbachwelle)
- House of the Arts (Haus der Kunst)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- New Pinakothek (Neue Pinakothek)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Old Pinakothek (Alte Pinakothek)
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)