From Quai Lunel, head out onto one of the many ferries making their way to various stops on Corsica and Ile Rousse. Travelers may enjoy the old port as part of a full-day tour along the French Riviera that explores Nice by foot before sailing off to glamorous town St. Tropez to suntan on the town’s psirine beaches, browse designer boutiques, and have an elegant meal. Or cruise instead to glitzy Monaco to visit the Prince’s Palace and the grand Casino of Monte Carlo.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families.
- Tours may include guide, round trip hotel transport and round trip boat transport, but perhaps not food or drink. Check specific tours for details.
- In Monte Carlo casinos, children must be accompanied by an adult, travelers must present an ID card or passport, and a $10 entry fee may apply.
How to Get There
Quai Lunel, which is the old port, is easy to reach from any part of the city. From central Nice, walk around the waterfront on the balcony-style walkway or head through the Old Town to Place Garibaldi and along Rue Cassini. Taxis are readily available if pressed for time.
When to Get There
The port is especially magical in the early mornings and during the magic hour in the evening. With a mild Mediterranean climate, Nice is a pleasant place to visit any time of the year. Come in the spring and the autumn to avoid the crowds and the heat of the summer. Hotel rooms are also cheaper during these shoulder seasons.
Visit Menton Make time to visit Menton, the delightful town just before the Italian border where the three Corniches end. Famous for growing juicy lemons (and a lemon festival in February), gorgeous formal gardens, and an impressive Jean Cocteau Museum, Menton is also stunningly beautiful, with mountains and tiers of pretty ochre mansions spilling into the pretty beach.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
- Place Garibaldi
- Quai des États-Unis
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Mt. Boron (Mont Boron)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Villefranche Cruise Port (Port de la Santé)
- Hotel Negresco
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Nice Old Town (Vieux Nice)
- Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse)
- Cimiez Monastery (Monastere de Cimiez)