While trick art gallery regulars might quibble at the quality of some of the paintings, the Phuket Trickeye Museum is a great way to beat the heat of the day and keep both kids and adults entertained. The five different sections run from famous works of art—adapted to include the viewer—to illusions such as severing your own head; and movie scenarios featuring Gollum, zombies, and more. Buying tickets in cash at the door can work out expensive; look online for discount deals.
Things to know before you go
- Pictures are key to enjoying trick art. Be sure to charge your phone (or camera) before you leave.
- For better upside-down illusions, wear fitted clothes. A skirt that flows the wrong way will spoil the effect.
- The museum has steps, so families will find back carriers or slings easier than strollers. Kids over 4 feet 3 inches (130 centimeters) will be charged the adult price.
- Phuket Trickeye Museum is not wheelchair-accessible. It’s a shoe-free space and slippery floors can be challenging for travelers who lack confidence in their balance.
How to get there
Phuket Trickeye Museum sits in the heart of Phuket Town, about a 0.5-mile (800-meter) walk east of the songthaew (covered pickup bus) stop on Ranong Road. Families and larger groups will find it easier to book a ticket package that includes transfers.
When to get there
The museum is usually open from morning until evening throughout the week. It’s least busy soon after opening, early in the week.
Things to Do with Kids in Phuket on a Rainy Day
There are plenty of indoor family-friendly attractions in Phuket. The Upside Down House (Baan Teelanka) lets you take photos on the “ceiling” of inverted rooms; Phuket Aquarium lets kids too young to snorkel experience the underwater world; REBEL Rock Climbing is an indoor climbing gym that’s perfect for letting off steam; and Ice Arena Phuket offers the chance to go skating in the tropics.
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Ko Yao Yai
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Khao Lak
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand