Explore our promoted experiences
- Soak up the unspoiled scenery of the Great Glen and Rannoch Moor with your expert guide
- Admire spectacular views of the Caledonian Canal, Perthshire, Glen Coe, and the Forth Bridge
- Take an optional boat cruise on Loch Ness to catch a glimpse of the legendary monster Nessie
- Enjoy a locally produced sandwich picnic lunch in the quaint village of Fort Augustus
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Start the excursion aboard your coach in central Edinburgh and travel north along the ramparts of Stirling Castle. Pass the Trossachs, cross Rannoch Moor and stop at Glen Coe—site of a legendary 17th-century massacre—before continuing on through the Great Glen via Fort William.
Arriving at the Highland village of Fort Augustus, situated on the banks of Loch Ness, you can opt for a leisurely walk or simply relax by the Caledonian Canal with your provided picnic lunch. Enjoy your choice of locally made sandwiches and shortbread washed down with bottled mineral water.
If you’d like, spend your free time aboard boat cruise on the loch (own expense). Go in search of the Loch Ness Monster named Nessie, a mythical creature said to inhabit these waters. The custom-built boat is equipped with underwater imaging technology, providing a fascinating view of the underwater terrain.
Afterward, re-board the coach for the return drive, passing Loch Laggan and motoring over Drumochter Pass, which connects the northern and southern Scottish Highlands. Your guide points out Perthshire and the lush forested landscapes of Big Tree Country. View the cantilever Forth Bridge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, before your day trip concludes in Edinburgh in the evening.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- Not recommended for travellers with mobility difficulties
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 57 travelers
- OPERATED BY Highland Explorer Tours Ltd
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "Even though it's a long drive to Loch Ness, the beauty of the highlands and the nice (and funny) information from the guide are worth it." See review
- "If you take the cruise, it may not offer a lot of time to walk around town and visit those cute shops." See review
- "Despite the great Scottish weather (it's the Highlands after all), this is a great day excursion if you're looking into learning a bit about Scotland history and admire the beautiful landscapes of the Highlands!" See review