Explore our promoted experiences
- Day trip to Hadrian’s Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Travel through the dramatic landscapes of the Lake District
- Visit Lanercost Priory to see acclaimed stained glass windows
- Check off the key sights along the wall such as Steel Rigg
- Learn about the ancient writing tablets found at Vindolanda
- Relax with round-trip transport from Windermere
Departure & Return
Please make yourself known to staff at the information centre.
Meet at pier 3 at Bowness Bay Pier.
Opposite the library at the main bus stop.
What To Expect
Stop at Lanercost Priory to see a church built within the ruins and some stained glass windows, designed by pre-Raphaelite Sir Edward Burne-Jones. Then, head to Hadrian’s Wall where you’ll spend the longest portion of your tour, walking past the towers and “milecastles” that dot the route.
After lunch at the Roman Army Museum (own expense), you’ll continue along Hadrian’s Wall to see key points of interest such as the Fell End and Sunny Rigg. Pass the Great Chester fort and have your camera ready for Steel Rigg — one of the wall’s most photo-worthy spots.
Finally, stop at Vindolanda, an old Roman fort where the ancient Vindolanda writing tablets were found. These important records of Roman life were deemed “Britain’s top treasure,” as the oldest surviving handwritten documents in the country. Take a look inside the Vindolanda museum to see a large collection of artifacts from the extensively excavated site.
Your day trip ends with a drop-off at the start point in Windermere.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be 5 years or older
- Confirmation is received at the time of booking
- There will be a designated lunch stop where you’ll be able to purchase lunch
- There are toilet stops on route
- Minimal walking is involved
- Our vehicles are not currently wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage is available at the Windermere Information departure location
- Seats cannot be reserved
- Each passenger must have their own seat
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY The Mountain Goat
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.